Richard Ruhling, MD
I apologize. This page needs work to link
topics below with information in the right-hand column.
your own doctor is not as easy as it may seem, but the
information below may be helpful.
Oldest of Tranquilizers
"With a liberal hand, God has 1 stowed His blessings upon men. If I gifts were wisely used, how little world would know of poverty or c tress! It is through the greed of g and the lust of appetite that the grains and fruits given for our sustenance converted into poisons that bring misery and ruin...
"Millions upon millions of dollars are spent in buying wretchedness, poverty, disease, degradation, lust, crime, and death. Houses of prostitution, dens of vice, criminal courts, prisons, poorhouses, insane asylums, hospitals, all are to a great degree filled as a result of the liquor sell work." Health & Happiness, p 205,206.
This insightful book, at a quick look may seem to overstate what we see today. We don’t think of hospital full of alcoholic problems. Yet a decade ago, the Blue Cross reported that drinking and smoking were the underlying factors responsible for the high cost of care which was more than three fold greater than those whose medical records did not suggest drinking or smoking was a problem. And it is possible for many people to be in the hospital without alcohol or tobacco being shown as a cause. I have been asked on numerous occasions to indicate the cause as a nervous disorder, because otherwise insurance won’t pay!
Since "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," the following statement is worth considering: "In this fast age, the less exciting the food, the better... wrong habits of eating and drinking destroy the health and prepare the way for drunkenness." Health & Happiness, Page 197,202.
This statement was the basis for a university experiment. When rats on a ‘~junk food" diet were given the choice of water or 10% alcohol, they chose to drink five times more alcohol than a paired group of rats fed a vegetarian diet. The rats which ate the popular U.S. diet drank more than eight times the amount of alcohol than rats on a vegetarian diet consumed. Coffee doubled the alcohol consumption and doubled again when spices were added.
One of the worst effects of alcohol is that it leads to other drug problems. Much more could be said because there are many problems associated with the use of alcohol, but experience shows that if the above is not sufficient, neither would a book be enough to change one’s mind!
Allergies to Foods or Chemicals
Unfortunately, most physicians are totally ignorant of this sidestream of medicine. And I have learned that there are a wide variety of medical conditions for which doctors prescribe symptomatic medication that can be caused by sensitivities to foods or chemicals.
If you have a chronic condition for which you or your physician have been unable to find a cause, do yourself a favor and change your diet completely for 10 days—like the 10 day trial of Daniel in the Bible. Eliminate all the things you usually eat and try rice with fresh fruits or vegetables that you don’t usually eat, including some kind of bean or pea for protein balance. Do not use sugar, oil or margarine for the trial (corn syrup or oil is a common sensitivity). You will think you are dying and cannot live this way, but this reaction is withdrawal from a true addiction!
Let me use my own experience to illustrate. On becoming a vegetarian, I learned to love whole wheat bread, sandwiches, cereals and granola. I was overeating of these and when a food is not properly digested (broken down) some long-chained proteins can be absorbed which act as an antigen (allergic factor) that are attacked by the white blood cells. Initially it is no problem, but in time, our load of antigens becomes heavy and we begin to have symptoms, like the hay fever patient in certain seasons. But with foods or chemicals, the symptoms are often related to withdrawal from the food, so that when we eat the food again, the symptoms may get less and we think we need it. It becomes a favorite food, with symptoms of unknown cause.
The following conditions are commonly caused by food or chemical sensitivities:
1. Headaches: tension, migraine and cluster types
One of the following books may be of help, available in paperback, sometimes found in libraries:
Dr. Burger’s Immune Power Diet, Dr. Mandell’s S-Day Allergy Relief System, How to Control Your Allergies by Dr. Robert Foreman.
If the reader has one of the above problems but is unable to sort out the cause, I would recommend a physician who is a member of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine. These physicians are more intelligent regarding foods and chemicals than other doctors. You may call or write, asking them for the name/number of one practicing nearest to you. Their phone number is (215) 862-4544. Their address is PO Box CN-1001-8001, New Hope PA 18938.
Rheumatoid is also common but often more painful and is responsible for deformity. About 30% of people with rheumatoid arthritis are found to be allergic to the nightshade family of plants—tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, pepper, tobacco.
In my own experience with food allergy (previous topic) I found that when I eat eggs, my knee will ache when I jog. Executives on whom I did a physical exam have said that meat or sugar or dairy products were a factor in joint aches. It is difficult for the average person to sort this out, because most people don’t remember what they ate yesterday. If you have arthritis, take another look at the recommendations in the previous topic of allergy.
Bladder Infection: Frequent infections in women may be prevented by a glass of water before sex and emptying the bladder afterwards. This will flush out bacteria that tends to cause bladder infection. Vaginal yeast infections are often related to diabetes, broad-spectrum antibiotics, nylon pantyhose, infrequent bathing, etc.
When one breathes deeply as described above, the diaphragm moves down and massages the adrenal gland on top of the kidney. This is where our "joy juice" is. The body makes cortisone and other natural hormones which cannot be prescribed by pill without detriment. Millions of arthritis patients have been given these pills with sad complications that are well-known: high blood pressure, peptic ulcers, osteoporosis (thinning of the bones), edema (swelling), moon face and buffalo hump on the back, tendency to diabetes and hemorrhagic areas in the skin—the end is tragic. But when the body supplies the need, and natural means to stimulate it are used, the benefit may be enjoyed without risk. The physiologic advantages of aerobic exercise may be significantly related to the deep breathing which one can do without jogging!
The white blood cells are the guardians of the body. They circulate throughout the body and they attack anything that should not be there, whether it is a bacteria, virus, or cancer cell. We are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made" as the Scripture says. But just as arteries get plugged, the types of foods we eat and our lack of exercise also contribute to poor circulation of the lymph. And this is different from the blood, because the white cells leave the blood vessels at the capillaries where they sense work that they need to do. They insert a pseudo-podium and ooze through a small opening into the interstitial area between the cells to dump their waste. After battling any germs, they travel by lymphatic channels which are often just under the skin. So tight clothing and sedentary pursuits tend to stagnation. Cold extremities also contribute to lack of good circulation. So what’s the importance of this and how can it be helped?
There are some amazing accounts of healing from serious disease, including cancer, allergies, and multiple sclerosis by proper diet and stimulating the lymphatic flow.
This is done by rubbing or stroking the skin toward the heart, breathing deeply to the point where you cannot inhale more, then trying to do so several times. Then breathing completely out, then trying to force more air out several times. It is best to do this in the fresh air, which has more negative ions. Five to ten deep breaths both ways along with bouncing on a mini-trampoline or lying on a slant board, (even lying on the floor) may significantly help lymphatic circulation as demonstrated in the laboratory. Fresh air is best, sleep with windows cracked open.
When something is good for the body (like, exercise), it benefits the body many ways, but when something is bad for the body (like caffeine), it is manifested in many illnesses.
I have worked in emergency rooms, clinics which see a cross-section of this country’s millions who suffer symptoms from caffeine, but don’t recognize cause of the problems:
1. Headaches: Tension, migraine and cluster types. Most physicians do not recognize caffeine to be the cause of headaches since many drug companies include caffeine as one of the ingredients to relieve the pain. But the headache results from withdrawal or dropping caffeine levels, just as smokers get symptoms when they try to quit. So coffee is prescribed for headaches the day after surgery; Anacin, Excedrin, APC, BC or Goody Powders, "cure" the headache, but maintain the addiction. The same may be said for Cafergot or Fiorinal (sometimes prescribed for migraine).
People need to be willing to break their destructive habits and pay the price of withdrawal. If they want health, they have to suffer through the pain (taking Tylenol or Advil temporarily is o.k.), stop all caffeinated pills or beverages, so that when the headache is gone, the addiction is broken and they have eliminated the most common cause of headaches! Birth control pills or hormones are also a common cause of headaches as any PDR (Physician’s Desk Reference which most libraries have as a reference) will show.
2. Stomach troubles: Heartburn, gastritis, ulcers and hiatal hernia. Caffeine is one of the most powerful stimulants of gastric acid. Caffeine supports the antacid industry of Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta, and expensive drugs like Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, and Axid. Guidelines for these expensive drugs indicate they should not be used regularly except for 4—6 weeks to cure an ulcer, but millions who (ab)use beverages, foods and analgesic drugs which irritate the stomach, take these drugs continuously, thus adding to the high cost of medical care.
3. Sleep Disorders and Insomnia. Sleeping pills are big business, thanks to caffeine’s effects of slower to sleep, shallow sleep and easy wakefulness. Many who don’t think they have a problem find they sleep much better without it!
4. Nervous disorders: Millions of Americans are addicted to tranquilizers, and their need for nerve pills began with their addiction to caffeine which stimulates the nerves. Then they want something to calm them. A tragic cycle of foolishness that is easier to prevent than cure. Many caffeine users have anxiety—the most common cause for tranquilizers in America. Every day countless patients in doctors’ offices are given Valium, Xanax, Ativan and other costly Rx’ s to cope with nervous problems, with scarcely a thought that patients develop this need by using caffeine.
Hyperventilation and panic attacks are seen daily in any emergency room. The cause is usually unknown, but questioning uncovers caffeine as a factor in most of these cases.
5. Cardiovascular problems: Caffeine speeds the heart rate and therefore raises the blood pressure. It causes abnormal beating (premature ventricular contractions) and lowers the threshold for ventricular fibrillation, a fatal arrhythmia if not defibrillated quickly. These are reasons why it is not allowed in coronary care units. It also elevates triglycerides (blood fat levels).
6. Cancer: The fourth leading cancer cause of death is pancreas and in a major study published in the New England Journal, caffeine had a strong correlation. Bladder cancer in women was found to be 2.5 times more frequent in women who drank 2—3 cups of coffee per day. Colon cancer is also higher.
7. Birth defects: The most common defect (cleft palate or hare lip) is linked to caffeine. The Food and Drug Administration advises pregnant women to avoid all caffeine because of premature births and low birth weight. Animal studies show increased risk of birth defects.
8. Fibrocystic disease of the breast. Medical textbooks recognize the role of caffeine in causing this most common reason for breast surgery, mammograms, etc. Fibrocystic disease is also a risk factor for breast cancer.
9. Blood Chemistry: Caffeine elevates blood sugar and probably catecholamine levels. These are "excitement" hormones.
10. Bad Habit Glue is what Dr. Pavlov, the famous Russian scientist called coffee. Most Americans could not wake up and face the day because their lifestyle is so abusive, but caffeine whips their nerves and they charge off to work in a state of stress that lasts all day.
Caffeine is also a major reason why smokers are unable to quit tobacco, because tobacco stimulates the nerves and the person needs a smoke to calm them. The 5-Day Plan to Stop Smoking has shown it is easier to quit both tobacco and caffeine, than to quit only smoking. After considering the evidence against caffeine, it is time to quit!
Tips on Quitting
2. Substitute non-caffeinated beverages. Use cereal coffees like Postum, Pero and Breakfast Cup, and fruit juices instead of colas, and herb teas instead of Lipton, etc.
3. Try Tylenol or Advil for withdrawal headache or see a physicians for a prescription containing no caffeine.
4. Ask God for help and healing. Choose to follow truth and right principles. Caffeine is a Drug: Say No to Drugs!
"Remember, this was in the days when doctors were still bloodletting and performing surgery with unwashed hands. This was in an era of medical ignorance bordering on barbarism. Yet Ellen White wrote with such profound understanding on the subject of nutrition that all but two of the many principles she espoused have been scientifically established." August 24, 1960.
One of the two items not yet proven in 1960 was her statement on cancer found in the health book we offer. "Those who use flesh foods little know what they are eating. Often if they could see the animals when living and know the quality of the meat they eat, they would turn from it with loathing. People are continually eating flesh that is filled with tuberculous and cancerous germs. Tuberculosis, cancer, and other fatal diseases are thus communicated." Health and Happiness, page 313. Free book offer for postage & handling.
The use of hormones, antibiotics, feeding of manure and rotten potatoes, (a contractor told me he installed a shoot that trucks would dump rotten potatoes into [only cost 1 cent/pound] and they would run down the shoot "like green snot"), and slaughtering methods and "inspection" methods spell disaster. "[A] federal meat inspector has all of 12 seconds in which to examine each beast [cattle], inside and out, as it passes by." Wall Street Journal, page 1,5-16-89.
The reporter assures us, "Not to worry: The U.S. Department of Agriculture has installed a long mirror so its inspectors...can glance at the back-sides of the dead cattle for abscesses, grubs and other parasites.. .Have you ever tried to see anything in a mirror 15 feet away through steam and fog?" asked inspector Michael Anderson. "You just hope that what you may have missed wasn’t major."
Slaughtering standards allow removed of a cancer with the remainder of the carcass to be sold for human consumption. Those who understand how cancer often spreads will know the dangers. For more insight, see a following section, "Meat."
"The evidence that cancer can be prevented is now overwhelming. We should be able to reduce age-specific cancer incidence rates by 80— 90%" NY State Journal of Medicine, Aug. 1980, page 1401.
"[The] risk for developing cancer can be increased by as much as 10 times depending on diet. To minimize the risk of cancer, fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grain cereal products should be stressed.. .use of animal products should be de-emphasized." Dr. Colin Campbell, Cornell University, who reviewed thousands of scientific papers for the National Academy of Sciences panel on diet and cancer.
We are still waiting for the 10-fold benefits because we are still eating as we please and hoping it won’t happen to us. We think medical science will find a cure. (Don’t hold your breath!)
Early detection of cancer is important, but physical exams are not usually helpful. I examined executives for four years at Loma Linda University and had people who already knew they had a problem and also one man with a cancer that was not detected. His exam and urine were negative but a few months later, he passed some blood in his urine and had a kidney removed for cancer. My advice fits with the American Cancer Society in recommending the seven warning signs:
1. Unexplained lumps or bumps (as in breast, neck or
Any lump or condition you have had for years without significant change would not be cancer. If you do have a question regarding one of the above, seek the best and most honest nonsurgical physician you can find. Ask questions and encourage his frankness with you. If it’s malignant, ask him who in your (or closest) metropolitan area, is the best surgeon he could recommend—the one he would go to.
Go to that surgeon and again encourage frankness, but let him do the surgery as he would if he were the one who had the tumor—tell him to get it all, even if it means some disability on your part. The Bible says, "if your hand offend you, cut it off."
It is best to get rid of as much cancer as surgically possible and then adopt a vegetarian type of diet that is high in the protective foods, vitamins A,C,E, phytochemicals and fiber that seem to help the body’s natural defenses. (More on eating habits later.)
In medicine there seem to be exceptions to most rules, but I would probably not want to take radiation treatments unless I felt confident of significant benefit from a localized use. I am almost sure that I could not be persuaded to take chemotherapy, even though they may cite benefits. Chemotherapy is designed to poison the tumor but it also poisons your healthy cells (though hopefully not as much). Drugs tend to weaken your system and they all (even aspirin, Advil, and Tylenol) have adverse effects.
If you have surgery to remove the cancer, you may expect to feel good again, but you are not "out of the woods" for 3—5 years. If no recurrence by then, you may consider yourself cured. That’s how medical science looks at it, by 5-year survival rates. If you do have a recurrence, I would be less inclined to trust medical science the second time—if they didn’t get it all the first time, there is less of a chance later.
There are places that do very well with natural remedies and I would emphasize this approach as most likely to benefit you. I cannot list names or places, but have talked with people who have had results that I would hope for and would pursue if I had cancer.
Coronary artery disease is the most common cause of death in the U.S. About 40% of all deaths are due to "the good life excesses," resulting from the buildup of cholesterol in the arteries supplying the heart muscle.
Cancer is the second leading cause. It too, as we showed earlier, is related to lifestyle. Bronchogenic carcinoma is strongly related to smoking. Breast cancer has hormonal and dietary influences, colon has a strong dietary link. Cancer of the pancreas has been linked to coffee or caffeine.
Stroke is the third most common cause of death. High blood pressure is the major risk factor which can be responsible for bursting an artery in the brain, resulting in paralysis of arm or leg on one side, speech or all of this with coma, depending on severity. It is rarely painful! Birth control pills may also be a factor.
Accidents have been the fourth leading cause of death and account for most deaths under 30. But alcohol and drugs are the cause in most accidental deaths at any age.
The Journal of the American Medical Association shows adverse drug reactions in hospitalized patients as responsible for the 4th leading cause of death. But if strokes [#3] were classified with cardiovascular disease as #1 [because they are caused by hypertension bursting a blood vessel or causing a blood clot in the brain], adverse drug reactions in hospitalized patients becomes the #3 cause of death. These reactions, if grouped with alcohol-related deaths [accidents, suicides, murder, cirrhosis] and nicotine deaths [lung cancer, emphysema, and 1/3 of coronary deaths] make drug-related deaths probably the #2 cause of death.
America hears much about heart and cancer, and we’ve heard about tobacco. We need to hear about alcohol and drugs. They are the #1 cause of disability and morbidity.
Pneumonia has been the fifth cause of death. Affecting the elderly, as in nursing homes, it has been called the "friend" of the aged because it spares prolonged suffering, etc. Pneumonia is also common in children and alcoholics.
Diabetes is number six and also has a strong lifestyle/dietary component. Those who inherit it or get it early in life must take insulin which means injections daily. Most others could manage without shots if they were willing to change their diet as shown elsewhere.
Cause of Disease
2. Avoid chilled extremities. This makes vasoconstriction and increases work load on the heart. Women should forget the tyrant of fashion and clothe their limbs well in winter.
3. A warm bath followed by a cold shower is an excellent tonic that benefits our physiology many ways, including the white blood cells.
Tight clothing, belts or bras reduce the venous and lymphatic flow.
Cirrhosis of the liver is largely due to alcoholism. Murder and Suicide are also in the top ten causes of death and are related to alcohol in a high percentage of cases. These would be preventable if our legislators were as honest about alcohol as they were about tobacco.
Constipation: When we don’t drink enough water, the body absorbs it from the stool, which becomes hard. Eating food with fiber helps absorb and hold water in the stool. Think of the millions of dollars spent for laxatives that could be saved if people did these two things!
Coronary Artery Disease This condition may manifest itself by sudden death, heart attack, or by angina described as an ache, pressure or tightness in the center of the chest. It is rarely discovered on routine physicals, but a treadmill stress electrocardiogram is a good screening test in persons over 50 with chest pain.
The Treadmill Stress Test detects 85—90% of those who have significant coronary disease, which means there are 10-15% false negatives who are missed. There are also 10-15% false positives (the test says there is a problem, but further studies do not substantiate it, most commonly in women under 45.)
A best-selling book which has sold millions on this topic is The Pritikin Program for Diet and Exercise. It has helped so many people on the basis of a low-fat, low cholesterol diet. Consider the evidence:
"Pritikin, 69, met his death with arteries like those of a child and a heart like that of a young man, according to the results of his autopsy. The extraordinary condition of the vessels supplying blood to Pritikin’ s heart is being seized on. as proof that eating habits can cause reversal of hardening of the arteries. Pritikin had been diagnosed as having heart disease, clogged arteries and high blood fat levels in 1955. At his death, all four major coronary arteries were totally free of any restriction, a condition virtually unheard of for a 69-year old man living in a Western country." Tampa Tribune, July 5, 1985.
Pritikin’ s book is excellent for heart, blood pressure or diabetic problems and will help most people who follow the diet to get off drug medication. However, the spices in its recipes are not beneficial.
Blood sugar levels should be monitored while cutting back on insulin with a diet and exercise program. Most diabetics taking insulin can check their own blood sugar with kits from the drug store. Normal blood sugar levels used to be 60—100 but because we eat so many sweet foods, many labs now consider up to 115 as a normal fasting level. And it should be back down to this range within 2—3 hours after a meal to be normal, but values of 150 or higher are often considered good for diabetics.
Medicine and harmful habits generally weaken our system so that disease comes sooner. What we eat or drink has the greatest potential for health or disease. The average person wants to eat, drink, smoke or abuse himself in some way and when he hurts, see a physician. But millions have learned to enjoy a low fat, low sugar diet and the many health benefits which reduce the need for drug medication.
At a time when millions are loading their system with junk foods and clogging their arteries, scientists are discovering plant chemicals that resist disease and help fight cancer. This reminds us of what Hippocrates said, "Let your food be your medicine."
But physicians today have many patients to see and many dollars to make; they do not have time to talk to their patients about their diet. (And that is why they have so many patients to see!)
Drug = Medication
No one likes to think they use drugs and the above information on caffeine may seem unsettling to some. But there is another large group of drug users—patients who see physicians regularly for prescriptions, of which would not be needed if they would be willing to change their attitudes (resulting in stress) and diet (resulting in internal pollution) and get some exercise!
The most educated man that I know (three doctoral degrees, was head of pharmacology at Loma Linda University), Dr. Mervyn Hardinge shared with me Drill’s Textbook of Pharmacology statement: "Every drug is by definition a poison. Medicine and toxicology are one, and the art of medicine is to use these poisons beneficially." This is the fly in the ointment, the poison in the pot, the witch in the brew of medical care. It does not require the patient to stop the cause—just take the prescription. (And see your doctor for more, often for the rest of your life!)
If you want further evidence of this, call your library and ask if it has a PDR—Physician’ s Desk Reference. You can look up the name on your prescription in the pink pages in front to find the page number of what you take. You will be amazed at the adverse side effects that it lists. The possibility for a bad reaction or adverse effect is enhanced if you take more than one drug. If you cannot find your drug in the PDR, you probably have a generic equivalent which saves money but is harder to look up. If you will call your druggist (appropriate title!) for a brand name of your prescription, you can then look it up in the pink section.
What shall we do? How can we get off of medicine that seems essential to life? Actually few drugs are that necessary. But people live in fear of change. They have been told they would need to take medication (sounds better than "drugs" but it means the same) for the rest of their lives. But this is because most people are unwilling to change their habits and eliminate the cause of their problem. If people would avoid foods high in fats, sugars and salt, and eat a simple diet, most of them could get rid of their drugs.
The foreword to The Pritikin Program for Diet and Exercise (a true best seller!) by Richard Harper, M.D., Medical Director of the Aviation Insurance Agency says of it:
"The return of many pilots [who lost their flying licenses when they had to take insulin or blood pressure medication] to flying saved my company hundreds of thousands of dollars. Equally important, it established that in motivated people, [who are willing to follow a diet!] a nutritional therapy could be more effective than the best conventional care [drugs] available in dealing with many degenerative diseases."
There are a few other exceptions to what I am saying about drugs. Patients who take hormonal replacement for the adrenal gland or whose thyroid gland was truly wiped out (I have seen patients who were taking it that did not need to be) and need full replacement, probably need to continue.
Heart medication has an aura of sacredness which laymen would not dare violate, because it seems to them a matter of life or death. Having had a year of cardiology and board-certification in internal medicine, it was my privilege to attend meetings sponsored by the American College of Cardiology in New York where Dr. Blackburn from the University of Minnesota summarized the panel discussion on antiarrhythmic drugs to say that there was no evidence at that point that they prolonged life or prevented death. He said they recommended prudent diet and avoidance of alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and moderate exercise.
Learn to eat right and start cutting back on your prescription. If you take it four times a day, take it three times a day and monitor whatever the drug does for you. If for blood pressure, buy a blood pressure device and check your own, recording it AM and PM.
1. Drink at least 6—8 glasses of water daily. Naturally soft or distilled water is best.
2. Eat foods in their natural state; avoid refined foods; white flour + water = pastry which becomes paste in the bowel. Let’s keep the bran with the wheat so we can avoid constipation.
3. The foods highest in fiber are legumes (beans and peas) and whole grains, of which oats are highest. Fresh fruits are naturally laxative, especially plums/prunes. Chew your food thoroughly.
4. Get good exercise. Walking is good. Situps tone the abdomen. If your back is weak, do them in bed or on a soft surface.
5. Cleanse the skin by bathing or sponge bath daily and occasionally do something that will cause you to perspire freely.
The average person should drink five 8-ounce glasses daily and one more for every 25 pounds above 150. Add more if working to produce sweat. A glass or two of hot water 20 minutes before meals would help two common problems.
1. Overweight. The hunger center and the thirst center in the brain are so close together, that much of what people think is hunger is actually thirst. If they would drink a glass of water when they think they are hungry, and get out of the kitchen, most overweight people would discover they did not need to eat. Hot water taken 20 minutes before meals would aid digestion and reduce abnormal craving. It works as well as diet pills, costs much less and has no bad side effects as pills do.
Gastritis, Hiatal Hernia, Ulcers
Some people have an erroneous idea that water makes their kidneys work harder. The opposite is true. The more water we drink, the easier they can filter the blood which becomes polluted by waste from billions of cells. We hear much about pollution today, but the worst toxic dumps are internal—we dump the waste into our blood stream and fail to wash it out through our kidneys! Many medical problems develop from insufficient fluid intake. Here are a few:
In no area of life is the proverb "Waste not, Want not" more importantly applied than in our personal health. If we choose to take care of our body by avoiding harmful habits and substances, we will be better than if we do as we please and take medicine.
Modem Concepts of Cardiovascular Disease published by the American Heart Association for cardiologists gives this insight: "Unless the arterial pressure is inordinately high (105 diastolic [bottom number]), therapy should begin by environmental modification [food, beverages, exercise, stress] rather than or prior to drug treatment." This was a decade ago, but the nature of blood pressure and the nature of drugs has not changed!
Millions of people worldwide, are taking blood pressure drugs they do not need to take. If they would "begin by environmental modification," avoiding caffeine, alcohol, fat, salt, cut their weight and stresses (yes, we choose our attitudes; they can be changed!) and get some exercise.
Most people taking one or two prescriptions could reduce their drugs as suggested without physician help. But many are taking three or more drugs, several times a day. They need help. The medical school I attended (Loma Linda University) was started for the purpose of providing this kind of help. But it gradually changed to the point of being like all the others.
There are a few progressive places that help people to get off their medicines and change their diet and habits for the better. They have physicians who understand these principles of healthful living and programs designed to help patients make the needed changes. If you are taking several drugs, it would be easy to call, express your interest and ask about the possibility of spending a week or so. It will cost money, but not as much as a hospital! It is too bad that Clinton Care will not pay for true health care as afforded in the following locations:
Wildwood Hospital, Wildwood Georgia 30757,
(706)820-1493, Dr. Scott Grivas
Most patients would not believe it, but the information on Allergy to Foods has an important bearing on this; many people have symptoms related to food sensitivities that are unsuspected, for which they take medicines.
‘Before leaving the topic of fluid intake, we must realize that most beverages are not healthful and wrongly take the place of water. Most "soft" drinks are hard on the body—they have about one teaspoon of sugar per ounce! (a 12-ounce can usually has 9—12 tsp sugar). There are also artificial colorings, flavorings and caffeine.
1. In spite of the best precautions, homosexuality is unsafe (some data suggests AIDS virus is small enough to pass through a condom, like helium through a balloon), unhygienic and contrary to Scripture. Leviticus 18:22.
2. Homes should be on elevated or well-drained soil away from dampness. The premises should be orderly. Never allow decaying fruit or vegetables or rotting material near the house. Like the excreta in Bible times, it needs to be covered with dirt, which builds the soil.
3. Rooms in the house should have sunlight and a free flow of air, not just re-circulated air in a closed system which can aggravate respiratory or allergic problems from mold.
"This method of cure has been used by persons who were ignorant of its real nature and tendency, and who believed it to be a means of benefit to the sick. But the so-called science is based upon false principles. It is foreign to the nature and spirit of Scripture. It does not lead to Him who is life and salvation. The one who attracts minds to himself leads them to separate from the true Source of their strength.
"It is not God’s purpose that any human being should yield his mind and will to the control of another, becoming a passive instrument in his hands. No one is to merge his individuality in that of another. He is not to look to any human being as the source of healing. His dependence must be in God.. .to be controlled by God Himself, not by any human being.
"God desires to bring men into direct relation with Himself. In all His dealings with human beings He recognizes the principle of personal responsibility. He seeks to encourage a sense of personal dependence and to impress the need of personal guidance. He desires to bring the human into association with the divine, that men may be transformed into the divine likeness.
"Satan works to thwart this purpose. He seeks to encourage dependence upon men. When minds are turned away from God, the tempter can bring them under his rule. He can control humanity. The theory of mind controlling mind was originated by him to introduce himself...to put human philosophy where divine philosophy should be. Of all the errors that are finding acceptance among professedly Christian people, none is a more dangerous deception, none more certain to separate man from God, than is this...
"The physician should educate the people to look from the human to the divine. If they cooperate with Him, obeying the laws of health, He will impart to them His life." Health and Happiness, pg 242.
For example, the ability of white blood cells to phagocytize (engulf) a germ may be reduced 25% by six teaspoons of sugar. That sounds like more than we ever get until we realize a can of soft drink has 9—12 teaspoons and the average American gets 35 teaspoons daily!
It is no wonder that we suffer a flu epidemic every winter after the holiday season. It’s a miracle we do as well as we do. Having worked with high exposure to "the bug" from patients, here are some practical tips that have helped me.
1. Upper respiratory infections are mostly caused by viruses and no medicine is effective in killing these types of germs. Remedies focus on helping symptoms or strengthening body immunity.
2. Because of TV advertising, many mothers get nervous about children’s fever and zealously treat any temperature over 100 degrees. Actually fever is the body’s own mechanism to fight the infection! Simply giving fluids is best in most cases. unless the temperature is over 104 or there is concern about seizures (usually in infants who haven’t had enough fluids to drink). Giving Tylenol or any other drug works against the immune system, because many viruses are inactivated at 102 or 103 degrees.
3. Fluids should be nondairy and non-sugary because milk makes mucus and soft drinks lower the white blood cell’s ability to phagocytize (eat) germs! Children may be taught to drink water by good examples and by weaning them from sweet drinks by diluting fruit juice more and more. Water is an essential ingredient for our bodies. We need to drink six to eight glasses daily!
4. Sore throat? The best remedy is a charcoal tablet allowed to dissolve on the back of the tongue. Science documents the adsorption of viruses by activated carbon. The tablets are soothing, inexpensive and useful for medical problems, including allergies, indigestion or food poisoning, gas and diarrhea. Animal studies in Russia suggest longer life span. The reason you don’t hear about charcoal’s benefits is because there is little commercial profit! Agatha Thrash, M.D. has written a 90-page book on its many benefits.
5. Much discomfort comes from sinus infection. Drinking water and eliminating dairy products (which make phlegm) is helpful, but the most important tip is NOT to blow the nose because germs from the throat are blown up to the sinus opening and infection is introduced by blowing! Do the opposite to clear sinuses—sniff to ‘draw secretions from sinuses down to back of throat.
6. No fever? Help your body mobilize its defenses by soaking in as hot a tub bath as you can stand for 20 minutes, I have been able to raise my temperature to 102.5 from normal by doing this. Finishing off with a cold pour or shower can increase your white blood count and further stimulate your immune system. If you don’t eat, your white cells will be even more hungry to "eat" germs. I have found this technique can get rid of flu symptoms overnight, but it works best if you will institute the above measures when you first realize you are coming down with it. Do not take drugs designed to mask symptoms. They interfere with the body’s mechanism. I have seen countless patients in clinic or emergency rooms who have taken all that stuff for a week and wonder why they aren’t better.
Kidney Stones: Medical texts recommend up to a gallon of water daily for patients with stone problems, to achieve a more dilute urine. But most stones are calcium and hard water makes more stones! Drink distilled or naturally soft water (commercial softeners add sodium which is not good— so much of what we do commercially is that way, have you noticed?)
Meat is a major contributor to the leading causes of death.
Most nutritionists would agree that if one maintains an ideal body weight on plant foods, it is almost impossible to be vitamin deficient. The hazards in meat are related to the major causes of death: heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes. Let’s look at them individually:
1. Heart disease is risked because of the cholesterol and saturated fat. People should know the cholesterol content of foods so as not to exceed the recommended limit of 300 mg/day. A knowledge of saturated fat content is necessary to not exceed 10% of the daily caloric intake. Half the U.S. has cholesterol levels over 210 and should get less than 5% of calories from saturated fat. The sirloin or rib roast exceeds the limits, even if no other saturated fat is eaten!
2. Cancer is risked for several reasons. Meat has no fiber and bowel transit time is longer. Colon cancer, the 2nd leading cancer cause of death is higher in beef eating peoples (U.S., Argentina, New Zealand). High fat diet has been suggested as a principle factor in breast cancer. The higher a country’s fat consumption, the more breast cancer—Hirayama’ s Japanese study included butter and cheese. Cancer viruses are found in tumors in animals. In 1910 Rous showed chicken sarcoma transmission from animal to animal. Laws allow removing the cancer from the chicken and letting the rest of the bird to be sold for human consumption! Never buy chicken wings or legs—get the whole bird to know what you are getting. The Wall Street Journal was cited earlier under "Cancer" regarding beef and is shocking. One third of trout in artificial hatcheries were found to have cancer of the liver. Eating meat is like Russian Roulette; sooner or later you will get disease.
3. Osteoporosis is largely misrepresented by the dairy industry as a lack of calcium. If doctors weren’t so lacking in nutritional education, they would know that we have plenty of calcium in non-dairy foods, but our high protein intake throws the kidneys into negative calcium balance—we excrete more than we take in. We don’t need more milk; we need less meat and protein. Many black people don’t drink milk because of lactase deficiency. They don’t digest milk well; they get gas, cramps or diarrhea from it. So they avoid milk and still have very little osteoporosis. Vegetarians are another example of less osteoporosis because of lower protein intake.
4. Gastroenteritis is common from Salmonella in chickens (over half the birds were contaminated in one investigation. If not cooked adequately, this can result in acute symptoms of diarrhea, cramps, fever, etc. These symptoms are also not uncommon from port or shellfish that feeds on sewage harvested in bay areas of some large cities.
5. Kidney disorders are benefited by a low protein diet. Those with renal failure can postpone their need for dialysis or transplant by a vegetarian type of diet.
6. Trichinosis is an infestation of tiny worms from pork that is poorly cooked. Pork is high in sodium (salt). 70% of pork products have nitrites added to protect against botulism and give a "fresh" color. Nitrites combined with amines found in many foods can produce nitrosamines which are known carcinogens (cancer producing substances).
Scripture says, "Be not drunk with wine." Ephesians 5:18. "Not through the excitement or oblivion produced by unnatural or unhealthful stimulants (mind-influencing drugs, prescription and street); not through indulgence of the lower appetites or passions, is to be found true healing. Among the sick are many who are without God and without hope. They suffer from ungratified desires, disordered passions, and the condemnation of their own consciences; they are losing their hold upon this life, and they have no prospect for the life to come." Health and Happiness.
Mental hospitals and psychiatric units today provide an array of treatment that includes drugs, hypnosis, frivolous entertainment or exciting indulgences, all of which prove to deepen the problems. They mistake hilarity for strength and when their excitement is past, their despondency is increased.
There are many factors involved in negative mental attitudes. Allergies to foods or chemicals (discussed elsewhere) should be considered if the following factors do not seem to be the cause: being unappreciated, over-
work, faultfinding, criticism, fear of future want, guilt, or lack of real religion, stimulating amusements, lack of close friends who know how to wisely relate to the problem. The following suggestions have been beneficial to those who seek help:
1. Avoid an unyielding disposition and seek compliance with the above principles.
2. Eat a "calming diet," avoiding stimulating, spicy or irritating foods. Coffee, tea, colas (and any stimulant) contribute to the problem, giving a pharmacologic lift, followed by depression as the effect wears off. Do not eat within three hours of bedtime, and limit rich or heavy foods and sweets. Fresh fruit or vegetables and whole grain cereals, and legumes are best.
3. Regularity in the daily schedule is important. There should be a wise structuring of the day with a time to arise, meals on schedule, time for exercise, reading, hobby or recreation, and regular bedtime.
4. Sleep is important to any nervous or mental disorder. See separate discussion of Rest in the section on Remedies below.
5. The dynamics of a personal faith so well covered in the book, Happiness Digest can be one of the most helpful ingredients to aid people suffering from depression.
6. See also "Spiritual Warfare" in this section. It is a crucial topic for persons with mental or emotional disturbances to understand so they can combat demonic forces.
Most overweight people would like to lose but don’t know how. Actually, it is possible to eat full meals and feel satisfied and still lose weight on a high complex carbohydrate diet. It is the fats and sugars that get us into trouble. A diet of fruits, grains, and vegetables is satisfying and health enhancing.
There is another fact that is not well-recognized. Food in the morning helps you meet the day and does not put weight on you. Food at night will put pounds on, and it is so hard to stop eating once you start, So remember this truism:
Breakfast is gold
Most people do not really eat heartily for all three meals, so why not do what we do—eat a great breakfast and a good meal early or mid-afternoon, and skip supper. You will awaken early, feel refreshed with a good appetite for breakfast. Best of all, you will lose weight on this schedule if you need to, while eating the energy rich foods—complex carbohydrates. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals. Nutritionists have known for years that the fruits and vegetables are the ‘‘protective foods’’ with more vitamins and minerals that the other groups.
Here are some tell-tale habits that overweight people have in common:
Breakfast skippers or skimpers
Interrelationships of Habits
Those who disclaim sexual frequency may consider other causes such as masturbation (which the Scriptures forbid as spilling the seed on the ground), erotic dreams, prone position in sleep and methyl xanthines (as in caffeine, chocolate and certain drugs for asthma) are thought to play a role as well as heredity. Cold medicine (decongestants) aggravate the problem of voiding if the prostate is enlarged as may spicey foods.
The methyl xanthines may also be a factor in prostatic cancer as they have been linked to fibrocystic breast disease, in which cancer is more common and the tissue of the breast similar to the prostate and caffeine has been linked to other tumors. (See discussion of caffeine).
When the prostate is enlarged, can get infected more easily an chronic prostatitis can be so bad that one retired minister told me he had suicidal thoughts. Prostatic massage by a physician with gloved finger in the rectal (painful) and antibiotics are the usual way of treating this and hot sitz bath. (feet and seat only in hot water) are helpful. If one can stand for ½ minute and rub the area in front of the anus with an ice bag, then sit again in the hot, three changes of hot and cold, finishing with cold will enhance the benefit of the hot sitz.
A blood test for specific for prostate can be helpful to detect early cancer. Abnormal levels suggest the need for biopsy (needle) and possible surgery. Surgery is also done for prostate enlargement. Complications are common complication.
Stomach and intestinal flu or food poisoning: When vomiting or diarrhea develop, the system cannot handle food. Give a sip of water every 5—10 minutes (not enough to trigger vomiting or diarrhea) until symptoms stop for a few hours. Then for diarrhea in an infant, try boiled skim milk that is cooled; adults may prefer soda cracker, or ripe banana or plain rice or potato (one of these). An excellent remedy for diarrhea is charcoal powder stirred into water, or capsules or tablets. It is cheap, effective and has no bad side effects—it adsorbs poisons in the system. Charcoal tablets or powder are the most overlooked remedy with many uses, including food poisoning, gas, medication side-effects, etc. The pharmacist or health food store can order it for you if they don’t have it.
1. Drugs: Many, including almost all pain and arthritis medicine irritate the stomach. Aspirin is the most common, but cortisone and others do a15 Tobacco in any form, especially chei ing, stimulates gastric acid. Two three charcoal tablets or capsules after a meal that may cause gas or indigestion is helpful. They are inexpensive and have no bad side effects.
2. Beverages: Anything with alcohol can give problems, even wine or beer. See the previous topic on fluid balance to appreciate how hot water before meals and cool water between meals can reduce the need for ulcer drugs. Coffee, tea and colas (any source of caffeine) are especially bad for stomach problems. Decaffeinated coffees and teas ‘are better but still have the coffee acids which can cause problems. Colas have other chemicals besides caffeine which make them a poor choice.
3. Timing: Your stomach has to do about as much work for one cookie, peanut or potato chip as it does for two or three. The lesson is, eat a good meal, but then do not interrupt the digestive cycle with any more food for 5—6 hours. The digestive organs need this much time to do their job, to empty and to restore their enzyme granules before the next meal.
Most doctors have forgotten this and many patients think they need smaller, frequent meals or snacks. They should give this an honest try for 10 days. A wise adage says: Breakfast like a king, Lunch like a prince, Supper like a pauper.
This principle has many health benefits, including weight control.
4. Foods: Fried foods and those high in oils or fats are especially hard to digest. Many people think they cannot eat salad but the cause of indigestion is usually the oil or vinegar dressing. Vinegar (as in ketchup) and other spices act as irritants and should be avoided. Baked goods contain baking soda or powder which cause indigestion. Fats like margarine and mayonnaise interfere with digestion and are better avoided. Light herb seasoning such as onion or garlic salt or lemon juice may be used.
5. Eating Habits: Too many foods make war in the stomach. Two or three simple kinds of food, chewed slowly and eaten until satisfied are better than four or five foods eaten in a hurry. Large hunks of food require more work and stomach acid to break them down. Thorough mastication is beneficial for hyperacidity problems and health in general. Enjoy your meal and adopt a calm, restful attitude.
Paul said, "We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world." Ephesians 6:12. Would you be surprised to see demons cast out of a close friend who seemed normal in every way except for moodiness?
Multiple witnesses and those involved in warfare ministry agree there are many symptoms of demonic harassment, oppression or possession. The following are only a partial listing of mental and spiritual symptoms. In addition, there is a wide range of physical symptoms which should be considered if all natural causes have been eliminated and the problem continues.
1. Compulsive desires, feelings or temptations in areas of thought, speech or actions. These may include hatred of spiritual things like God, the Bible or our fellowman.
2. Bitterness, feelings of worthlessness or guilt by professed believers, even after confession.
3. Suicidal or murderous thoughts extreme anger or hostility.
4. Vicious, cutting tongue or lying speech.
5. Depression, insomnia, no energy Fanatical extremes of appetite, sleep orderliness, or interest in the occult.
6. Nightmares, choking sensations tightness about head or chest, dizziness.
7. Surges of fear, impatience, resentment or bitterness.
Christian bookstores have book dealing with this very real problem that can help those who are confronted with any of the above situations. As for a book that deals with warfare prayer and seek a minister who has an experience in deliverance ministry.
Young men, average age of 26, who were killed suddenly in accidents were autopsied. The lungs showed abnormal cells called fibroblasts, common in emphysema, in all the fellows who smoked, but "rarely seen in the nonsmoker." Emphysema usually starts decades later, but changes were already seen by microscope that would later produce the wheezing and breathlessness. I had three months training in "Marlboro Country" where patients sat around with tubes in their noses trying to breath. Millions of smokers do not know that the men who were photo graphed for the Marlboro ads have die of lung cancer or emphysema as show in a film.
I have helped many smokers to quit. At the University of Arizona we had 150 in a class. My experience is that anyone who firmly resolves to do the following program for five days can b over the hump. These tips are from Dr. McFarland’s 5-Day Plan to Stop Smoking.
Quitting is a tough job, and only by sticking to these rules can you really succeed in stopping your s1T1okin~ You are breaking a habit pattern and starting a new way of living. You are going to need all the will power you have, but each additional hour and each day will add to your determination and willpower.
It is hardest the first three days, but by the end of five days the majority of individuals will find the craving definitely less, or gone. Stay by it for ten days and you are certain of making it. The craving to smoke is physiologic, like the need to urinate. If you stall it off, you forget it until the need comes to mind again. When the cravings come, say a decided "NO!" and stall off these cravings by doing the following things which are designed to help you:
1. Say to yourself, "I choose not to smoke." You can do it one day at a time, and five days is not too long. Your choice, like a rudder on a ship, determines your direction; just make up your mind!
2. Take some slow deep breaths in and out. Imagine them as lung exercises. They will relax your nerves and release hormones that will help you cope with stress; breathe all the way in, and all the way out.
3. Drink a glass of water. Imagine it flushing nicotine out of your body. Cool water also cuts the throat irritation that calls for a smoke. It helps stall for time, allowing the craving to go away. Six glasses/day is minimum!
4. Go for a short walk. This is especially important right after a meal instead of lighting up like you are used to doing. If at work, it may only be to the rest room or down the hall. An outdoors walk is best if you can, walk briskly, swing your arms and turn the corners of your mouth upwards!
5. Some have found it helpful to jump in the shower or tub when the cmvlng hits. A warm bath relaxes the nerves. Finishing with a cold shower in the morning will be like an excellent tonic to offset quitting coffee.
6. Think of others who will benefit from your quitting. Your spouse/children, or friends at work.
7. Pray. Ask God to help you. This has helped many people. Believe it or not, I think God delights especially to help those who aren’t religious! The Bible says, "Ask, and it shall be given you." I have found that God meets us more than half way. The periods of severe craving will lessen as you practice all of the above.
You may not think that you need to do the above or following suggestions, but my experience suggests that the more earnest you are in changing your habits for the sake of being drug free (tobacco, alcohol and caffeine are all drugs) the better your likelihood of victory in this deadly game of life.
There are a few critically important rules to
2. Avoid any heavy eating while quitting. It is actually helpful to fast for the first day and eat mostly fruit or vegetables for the remainder of five days. The craving to smoke is at a peak after a heavy meal.
3. Avoid any unnecessary events while quitting. No night clubs or situations where everyone else around you will smoke. The more rest and fresh air exercise you get, along with simple food, the better.
After five days, the "habit" becomes "a bit" and in five more days, there is still a "bit" there. Go a month, and you still have "it." In fact, if you ever smoke even one cigarette again, you will have the whole habit back. So be especially guarded against sudden stress or use of alcohol, caffeine. If you get a caffeine withdrawal headache as many do, take an aspirin, Advil or Tylenol. It will only last through this withdrawal phase and you will b~ free of both addictions.
Your experience tells you that smoke is like an old friend to calm the nerves, etc. My experience shows it is deadly enemy, and that if you did no use tobacco, alcohol or caffeine, you nerves would not need calming! Some people need to keep their hands a mouth busy and chewing sugarless gum is a crutch that may bridge this gap. tells you that smoke is like an old friend to calm the nerves, etc. My experience shows it is deadly enemy, and that if you did no use tobacco, alcohol or caffeine, you nerves would not need calming! Some people need to keep their hands a mouth busy and chewing sugarless gum is a crutch that may bridge this gap.
Remedies of Nature
To summarize these natural remedies or laws of health, notice the acronym, NEW START.
The above remedies are treated in greater depth in the book, Health an Happiness offered for postage an handling in the back of this book. The author received the following review:
Department of Nutrition
"Every modern specialist in nutrition whose life is dedicated to human welfare must be impressed in four respects by the writings and leadership of Ellen G. White.
"In the first place, her basic concepts about the relation between diet an health have been verified to an unusual degree by scientific advances of the past decades...
"In the second place, everyone who attempts to teach nutrition can hardly conceive of a leadership such as that of Mrs. White that was able to induce a substantial number of people to improve their diets.
"In the third place, one can only speculate about the large number sufferers during the past century which could have had improved health if they had only accepted the teachings of Mrs.White.
"Finally, one can wonder how to make her teachings more widely known to benefit the overcrowded earth that seems inevitable tomorrow unless the present rate of increase of the world’s population is decreased.
"In spite of the fact that the works of Mrs. White were written long before the advent of modern scientific nutrition, no better overall guide is available today."
Clive McCay, Ph.D.
Thousands of years ago, the earliest Bible writer said, "The life of the flesh is in the blood" and man was to eat neither fat nor the blood of animals! Leviticus 3:17. It has taken science more than 3,000 years to catch up, but close correlation of fat to coronary heart disease is now well established. If given a few more decades they might figure out that diseased animals (from the hormones and excreta fed to them) may be responsible for increases in cancer! Let’s look at food.
1. Follow man’s original diet (above) as closely as possible.
2. Eat as little of highly refined, fast or processed foods as possible.
3. Learn to enjoy foods in their natural state with minimal cooking, but beans and grains should be well cooked.
4. Avoid salty or highly seasoned foods. They irritate the stomach and inflame the blood.
5. Avoid too many foods or combinations at one meal. Two or three are enough, four is plenty. Variety tends to provoke us to overeating with a result also of indigestion, sluggishness, or gas. Here a healthy example:
For breakfast, have a generous serving of whole grain cereal and one or more slices of whole grain toast with a thin spread of nut butter or topped with sliced fruit or sauce like your cereal! Fresh fruit is better than juice; have all you wish! Avoid coffee, sugar or syrup, butter or margarine.
For dinner (mid-afternoon if possible as shown below), have generous servings of a starchy food (like potato, squash, rice or corn), and well-cooked beans or peas for protein plus something green (like spinach or kale) or yellow (carrots or squash) for vitamins. Fruit may be used if not having potatoes—it is better not to mix fruits and vegetables. Beans and peas are legumes, squash comes from a blossom and is the fruit of a vine, and rice or corn are grains, not vegetables!
6. Two meals a day is ideal for most people with the main meal at breakfast or early afternoon. This avoids the need of supper which is usually the most difficult to digest and the meal that tends to make us overweight. If a third meal is eaten, it should be light and several hours before retiring. (You don’t drive your car all day on empty and then tank up after you get home.)
7. Have regular mealtimes, eat slowly, chew your food well. This helps prevent overeating and enables pleasant conversation. Avoid strenuous exercise right after eating.
8. A starch-based diet that is high in grains and complex carbohydrates is best. Whole grain breads are easier to digest if toasted. Wheat, oats, brown rice, corn, millet, barley and rye are grains that may be prepared in many ways and they nicely balance the protein of beans or peas in the diet.
9. Fruits or vegetables are best fresh or frozen. Canned fruit should have the syrup poured off unless there is a food shortage; then it provides calories that are needed.
10. Because of the increase of disease in animals, dairy or poultry products are a risky type of food and cannot be recommended.
11. With machinery, a lean fuel is usually better than a rich mixture. The same applies to humans. Avoid or eat rich foods sparingly. This includes nuts. Peanuts (not a true nut) are less healthful.
12. The above foods are high in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protective (anticancer) factors. Eat a wide variety of them with thanksgiving to the Creator and your health will be better!
Note: There are further principles on foods for survival in Supplement K: Chaos and Survival.
1. Exercise daily in the open air. There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!
2. Equalize muscle and brain work as much as possible.
3. Be vigorous enough to promote some "huffing and puffing."
4. Walking is one of the best forms; it brings into play almost every muscle of the body.
5. The disposition to avoid exercise is a sign that death is stalking you; shake it off!
2. Do not drink at mealtimes. It dilutes digestive juices and makes digestion more difficult.
3. Daily bath is best, but two—three times/week is minimum—use sponge bath if need be.
4. Tepid bath will help lower fever and give more water by mouth. Unless fever is 104, do not give Tylenol or Advil unless seizures have been a problem, which is more frequent in small dehydrated infants.
It helps prevent infection, fight germs and aids hormonal balance.
1. Get as much sunshine as prudently possible. It is the polyunsaturated oils that have contributed to skin cancer. If you don’t use oil, moderate sun exposure won’t hurt—it’s been around for thousands of years!
2. Expose the rooms of the house to sunlight. It is great for mental attitude as well as health.
3. Turn back the sheets and expose bed clothes to fresh air, sunlight.
4. Plant some seeds that can give you food in return for the sunlight! Try alfalfa sprouts-—do it yourself!
temperate and we need a power outside of ourselves to bring all the powers of mind and body under natural law. That power is partially described in "Trust in Divine Power." The best treatment is in the book, Health and Happiness offered at the back of this book. For those who are addicted to alcohol, drugs, tobacco or caffeine, send postage and handling for the appropriate book on the order page.
1. In order to breathe well, you must have a correct posture in standing and sitting. God made man upright, and an erect bearing carries not only the grace and dignity of self-possession, but it promotes physical health and mental alertness. We should stand and walk tall because we were made in the image of God. Genesis 1:27.
2. Avoid tobacco in any form, and tight belts or garments that restrict deep respiration.
3. Develop the habit of deep breathing and always speak from the diaphragm using full inspirations.
4. Avoid overcrowded or poorly ventilated rooms. Get as much fresh air as possible. Many people could double the amount of good air they get by sleeping with a window open.
5. Do not overheat the house/apartment, as it removes the oxygen. Sixty-five to seventy degrees is the best temperature. You can dress warmer and still have better health and a clear mind.
6. Get some aerobic exercise (that makes you breathe heavily) daily. This tends to promote all of the remedies.
1. Have regular hours for sleep; going to bed early is better than late.
2. Deep breathing is an aid to sleeping better, but a large meal before retiring is not good.
3. "Count your blessings instead of sheep." A clear conscience, prayer, Bible study and trust in God are important aids to rest.
4. Avoid exciting programs or loud music. Excitement tends to derange the nervous system, as does TV, videos and reading of fiction.
5. The Creator understood man’s need to rest. So He made the night for this purpose. But if we cannot sleep or awaken early, reading the Bible or a good book can often relax the mind and enable one to go back to sleep.
6. Rest and wholesome diversion from weekly care and usual work may be found in the Sabbath which God made for our benefit. Mark 2:27.
Trust and Positive Attitudes
1. "What we don’t use, we lose." We should use our minds to focus on tough problems or serious reading. Millions watch soap operas hoping to learn the meaning of life, and it soon becomes slippery. ‘fhe Bible offers solid help that does not disappoint. Novels or fiction are like junk food— it may taste good, b~t both mind and body are weakened by exciting trash. Like the stomach, the mind should have variation of food or it can become unbalanced. But much study promotes a weariness and our educational system focuses on memorization of facts to the detriment of mental health and real benefit.
2. The mind is more wonderful than the finest computer. It can discriminate between choices that are morally right or wrong. This power of choice is what makes our destiny as much higher than apes as the sun is higher than the earth. God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." Genesis 1:26.
3. Realizing our potentially high destiny can give the most hopeful and spiritually exciting benefits to the mind. To realize that a loving Creator made us in His image and has provided the means whereby we may become sons and daughters by adoption into the heavenly family is the most fantastic truth that we can conceive. And in this case, "what the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve!" So, let’s "go for it!" The author has had 40 years experience in trusting the promises of Scripture, and I can tell you this; they work as well as any physics formula.
4. Let me clarify. God does not always give us just what we want when we want it. For then He would be making us into overgrown babies, totally dependent upon our whim of "give me this" and next, "give me that." But in His great wisdom, He ordains what is best for us and will see us through any difficult situation, just in proportion to our trust and willingness to follow His way!
5. Like the computer we are programmed to do best when we look at things from a positive perspective. Dr. Selye, father of the modern stress theory, found that gratitude is one of the most healing of all emotions. And it is here where faith in Scripture can be so meaningful, for one can express gratitude to the Creator for the high destiny that is ours and our belief that He is able to bring us to that expected end. Walking in the light that we have brings us to greater light.
6. Our feelings tend to follow our thoughts, like a caboose on a train. The caboose is not essential to the train— sometimes we see trains without one. In the same way, it is not necessary to feel great or high all the time. If we focus on our feelings and fret because we are not feeling as high as we think we should, it is like focusing on the caboose and expecting it to run the train. We must focus on God’s Word and His promises to us; our situation or perception of it will change.
7. "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." Proverbs 23:7. If the thoughts run in a channel of fear, complaining, distrust, jealousy, or resentment, the body is toxic. "An angry man is full of poison." Scripture says, "Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Philippians 4:8. What has our attention has us and we become what we think about!
See also a previous section, Depression.
Summary: Health (one of our most important assets) costs us very little if we harmonize our lives with natural law. Doing so brings increased quality and quantity of life. This truth translates into the spiritual realm also. What we put into our minds can build us into better people or corrupt us and lead to spiritual death.
My favorite book and DVD to help you live without the need of medical care--Best DVD, Book for Self-help for low cost.